Just like regular chocolate bread, carob whole wheat mini loaves double as a healthy dessert or breakfast bread. Each loaf is a moist, rich quick bread that you’ll never guess is healthy with roasted carob powder, coffee, raisins and walnuts. Serve it as a coffee bun-inspired treat after dinner or have a slice with your morning coffee.
The simple ingredients are perfectly sweet without using too much sugar. And coffee adds a nice undertone without overpowering the carob powder. It’s the perfect quick bread for health nuts and carob-lovers alike! Even chocoholics will love them too! If you want to turn this recipe into full-on dessert bread, feel free to add homemade unsweetened carob chips. Enjoy!
RECIPE: Carob Whole Wheat Mini Loaves
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp potassium bicarbonate (potassium baking soda)
- 1/2 tsp potassium salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup The Australian Carob Co. Roasted Carob Powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain natural yoghurt (no gelatin or additives)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet mixture into a well in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts. Mix until everything is evenly dispersed.
- Using a tablespoon and silicon spatula, make nine (9) oblong mini-loaf shapes on the baking sheet. (This is an approximation as this will depend on the size).
- Put in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 20 to 25 minutes (depending on size) at 375 degrees F.
- Let cool and enjoy as large buns, or slice for serving as hors d'oeuvres with slices of cheese or other toppings.
- Store in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature for a couple of days, although they probably will be eaten sooner.